This is one of the recipes I have been giving to my sports nutrition clients, it contains a good mix of complex carbs, unsaturated fats, good quality protein, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
It is terrific for energy, replenishing glucose stores and increasing recovery; it could be taken an hour before training or shortly after finishing.
- 1 banana (carbs, potassium)
- Half an avocado (unsaturated fats)
- Handful of fresh/frozen berries e.g. blackberries, blueberries etc.(antioxidants).
- 3-4 tbsps natural probiotic yoghurt (e.g. Glenisk – probiotics, protein).
- 1 scoop Whey protein (in health stores e.g. Solgar “Whey to go”)
- 2 cups of apple juice (to replace glycogen stores)
- A small amount of grated ginger e.g. ½ tsp. (antioxidants, adrenal supporting, anti-inflammatory, reduces muscle spasms).
- Sprinkling of cinnamon (blood sugar balancing properties).
Blend everything together until smooth, drink/eat with a spoon and enjoy!