Walnut is an excellent source of manganese and copper. They also contain very good levels of magnesium and phosphorous. Good levels of zinc, iron, calcium and selenium can also be found in walnut. They also contain traces of iodine. Walnuts are low in sodium.
Walnuts contain excellent levels of vitamin B6, thiamin (B1) and pantothenic acid. They also contain very good levels of vitamin E, niacin (b3) and riboflavin (b2).
Regular consumption of walnuts helps in lowering cholesterol levels, controlling high blood sugars, and improving cardiovascular functions. It is good for various hearth problems. The reason for these benefits of walnuts is that they contain unsaturated fats and little cholesterol, significant amount of omega-3 and antioxidant properties.
Pesto sauce with Walnuts
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional) Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 12 mins
- Place basil, olive oil, walnuts, garlic and salt (if using) in food processor.
- Blend until thoroughly combined.
- Add Parmesan and butter and blend 5-10 seconds more.
- Just before serving, add 2 Tbsp of hot pasta water from cooked pasta.
- Serve over pasta with bread and salad.